Friday, January 27, 2012

Training Plans

After registering for the half marathon at the end of April I went online to Runner's World and printed out one of their training plans.  This is week three of that plan.  Starting last week I also get a weekly email with a training plan from Bart Yasso for the half marathon.  I've been doing a combination of the two plans and so far have been running more than they say to run.  The one from online has me running way slower than my normal.  Part of what I have been frustrated about lately is that my time from my first 5K to my most recent one has not improved much at all.  I know all courses are different and the last one was longer than 3.1 miles, but if I had been training as I should have been, I think i would have seen improvement.  I think I let myself run slower instead of pushing a bit to go faster.  These past three weeks I have been pushing more, not a ton, just putting it up .1 to .5 higher than easy for the speed on the treadmill and with this little bit of effort I have seen my time per mile getting better.  Next weekend is my first 10K which turns out is supposed to have a lot of hills, which I haven't really started training for yet.  I've been focusing on on thing at a time and for right now that is small speed increases.  I've been wondering how other people train.  Do you pay for a plan?  Follow one to a T?  Modify an existing one for you own goals?  Is there a right or wrong way to do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment