Sunday, July 31, 2011

Am I ready to run a 5K? I think so!

So back at the beginning of the summer I decided I was going to run in a 5K that is coming up in two weeks.  There was plenty of time to get ready and my best friend said she would run it with me.  So I started getting ready and felt good and then I stopped.  There was always tomorrow.  It was too hot.  The heat index was above 100 degrees for over a week.  Then i looked at the calendar last weekand saw that there were three weeks left.  So I was going to quit.  Until I decided to see if I could still make it happen.

Last week on Wednesday I started seeing if two weeks plus a little was enough time to get ready.  The first day I ran a mile and a half.  The second day I ran 2.25 miles and the third I ran 3.3 miles.  Then I gave myself a one day break and got back into it today.  I planned to make today a little bit lighter so at 3 miles I let myself ease back into a cool down.  So the plan is to run at least four days a week and get up to four miles at a time so that if the course has hills I hopefully still have the endurance to complete it and there is always the option to walk, not that I want to walk, but as I've never done one of these before just completing it is my first goal.  There are local 5k's in both September and October so I can keep up my motivation.  I'm sure they go past October, I've already seen posting about the earlier months.  Now to keep up the motivation for another 13 days to reach my first goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment